Re: <cannot fetch remote object> - WHY ?

From: Xavier Leroy (Xavier.Leroy@inria.fr)
Date: Thu Feb 03 2000 - 19:28:50 MET

    > Unfortunately, I found
    > difficulties to convince the debugger to print objects.

    > 5. install the printer function my_print_point
    > (ocd) install_printer Essai_printer.my_print_point

    > 7. print my_p
    > (ocd) p my_p
    > my_p : point = <cannot fetch remote object>

    User-defined printing functions run in the memory space of the
    debugger, which is distinct from that of the debugged program.
    Structued I/O (output_value/input_value) is used to communicate the
    value being printed between the two. Unfotunately, structured I/O is
    currently unable to deal with objects and functions, hence the error
    you've observed.

    > Can somebody tell me the "solution" to print the value "x" of my_p ?

    The only solution I can see right now is put a breakpoint in one of
    the methods of my_p's class; then, "x" is in scope and "print x"
    should show its value.

    - Xavier Leroy