Lazy evaluation & performance

From: Benoit de Boursetty (debourse@email.enst.fr)
Date: Sun Feb 20 2000 - 13:54:16 MET

    Hello,

    Has anybody done benchmarks to eval the cost of lazy computation
    encapsulation, in terms of time, memory, garbage collection? I have no
    idea of how this is implemented...

    Here's my personal case :

    There is a function f which I want to compute for several arguments
    x_1,...x_n.

    let f x =
      [beginning]
      let intermediate_value = ... in
      [end]

    only that I want to compute it thoroughly just for the x_i that has the
    highest intermediate_value among x_i's. This intermediate value is used
    anyway for the [end] part.

    Naive design (design a):

    let f x =
      [beginning]
      let intermediate_value = ... in
      (intermediate_value, lazy [end])

    the lazy computation of the [end] being forced only for the x_i that has
    the highest intermediate_value

    Another possible design (less elegant) (design b):

    let intermediate_value x =
      [beginning]
      let intermediate_value = ... in
      intermediate_value

    let f x =
      [beginning]
      [end]

    I compute the intermediate value and then recompute all over again
    for the x I want to compute.

    Comparison of time costs:

    if
      B is the cost for [beginning]
      E is the cost for [end]
      L is the cost for encapsulating the lazy computation of [end]
    then
    design a costs n*(B+L) + E
    design b costs (n+1)*B + E
    (very roughly I suppose)

    Clearly, deciding which design to adopt is a trade-off depending on n, B,
    L. I suppose L also depends on the number of results from [beginning] that
    the computer will need to "remember" for [end]? Also, encapsulating lazy
    computations means more memory allocation, means more garbage collecting,
    doesn't it?

    In my case the efficiency bottleneck is E not B, and n is about 10 (i.e.
    high) so I'm not expecting a wonderful overall time gain. I'm just
    wondering if it's costly to implement it in the way that corresponds best
    to reality (design a). "B" is only a dozen flops.

    Could anybody give me a hint about the order of magnitude of L?

    Thanks very much in advance for your answers.

    Benoît de Boursetty.