Re: Calling C from OCaml, GC problems

From: David Mentré (David.Mentre@irisa.fr)
Date: Mon Feb 21 2000 - 17:54:18 MET

    Xavier Leroy <Xavier.Leroy@inria.fr> writes:

    > > 2. when compiling, I've tons of warning like this:
    > > bdd_interface.c: In function `mlbdd_alloc_manager':
    > > bdd_interface.c:136: warning: left-hand operand of comma expression has no effect
    > > bdd_interface.c:136: warning: unused variable `caml__dummy_result'
    >
    > I think those warnings are harmless, and are due to the way the
    > CAMLxxx macros are written in 2.04. But only Damien Doligez knows for
    > sure...

    Yes. Having a deeper look at those macros, I've found that the first
    warning as been fixed in ocaml 2.99 (the macros CAMLxparam referenced a
    the caml__frame variable without using it).

    However, the second warning is still there (even if harmless). The
    problem is that the caml__dummy_##name variables are no longer
    used. Such variable is only used to make some side-effects using C
    '(stmt1, stmt2, ..., stmtN)' notation. I see no way to fix this. C lack
    the Caml 'let _ ='. :)

    Any way, many thanks for the feedback.
    Best regards,
    d.