Re: Preferred GUI Toolkit for O'Caml 3?

From: jean-marc alliot (alliot@recherche.enac.fr)
Date: Tue Feb 22 2000 - 12:04:22 MET

    Hi,

    I just have a PhD student who has been working on writing GUIs with OCAML for
    the last months. You might be interested by our experience.

    I think first that you can forget ocamltk. It is superseded by LablTk, and the
    optional argument feature of OCaml3 is extremely pleasant to use in this
    context.

    We haven't tested mlgtk. We choosed lablgtk as it is developped by Jacques
    Garrigue. It was, for us, a guarantee of good integration with the language.
    But mlgtk is probably excellent also.

    Our personal opinion would be:
    1) If you have no performance problems, labltk is extremely simple to use.
    2) Lablgtk is much more efficient and more complex. There might be still some
    bugs (?), and you need to invest LOT of your time to learn to do what you want
    to do. GTK documentation is quite sparse, and lablgtk documentation is even
    sparser. But it is really fast and extremely rich. We have developped a quite
    complex GUI (complete representation of french airspace with ATC sectors etc).
    It was painful because of the lack of documentation, but the result is
    completely satisfactory regarding performance, and nice to see...

    JMA