Re: Preferred GUI Toolkit for O'Caml 3?

From: skaller (skaller@maxtal.com.au)
Date: Tue Feb 22 2000 - 14:39:27 MET

    Jacques Garrigue wrote:

    > From: Thorsten Ohl <ohl@hep.tu-darmstadt.de>
    >
    > > I soon have to do major surgery (= an almost complete rewrite) on a
    > > graphical user interface, currently in O'CamlTK.
    > >
    > > Since retargeting to incompatible GUIs is such a boring job, I'd like
    > > to hear which toolkit do you see in your tea leafs as the future
    > > toolkit of choice?
    >
    > I answer for the two libraries I'm concerned with.
    >
    > > - LablTK [ (+) more convenient than O'CamlTK
    > > (+) part of O'Caml 2.99 ]
    >
    > This is now an integral part of the ocaml distribution, available on
    > both Unix and Windows (in ocaml 3.00). The interface should be stable
    > in the future, making it a good choice if portability and
    > maintainability matter.
    >
    > > - lablgtk [ same a mlgtk, plus
    > > (-) still beta
    > > (+) appears(!) to have the slickest API ]
    >
    > Beta does mainly mean that it may undergo API changes in the future.
    > It is already good enough for writing applications. The next version
    > will also support Windows.
    > This is a good choice if appearance matters, and you are ready to
    > eventually suffer a bit with API changes.

    I would beg to differ with this analysis: Tk has some nice widgets,
    like the text widget, which are _much_ better than GTK's rather woeful
    offering. However, GTK has a tree widget, and while GTK is under
    development
    -- which is a disadvantage -- it is also under development -- which is
    an advantage :-)

    Tk is reasonably stable .. but dead. It is also sssllllloooowwwww under
    Windows.

    IMHO: use Tk if it is enough, and GTK for projects with a serious
    future.

    --
    John (Max) Skaller, mailto:skaller@maxtal.com.au
    checkout Vyper http://Vyper.sourceforge.net