(no subject)

From: Benjamin C. Pierce (bcpierce@saul.cis.upenn.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 22 2000 - 19:15:39 MET

    Answering my own question...

      I've been told that statically linking Tk applications is not
      possible. If you can tell me how to do it (ideally on both Unix and
      Windows) I'd be delighted to know: this is one of our biggest problems
      with distributing Unison at the moment.

    >From talking to some more experts, the situation appears to be this:
    Tk can be statically linked, but this doesn't help with portability
    because when it starts the first thing it does is reads some Tcl
    scripts. So in any case you can't distribute a complete all-in-one
    executable: users will have to install (the right version of) Tk to
    run your program.