OCaml and Tcl/Tk statically linked

From: Vyskocil Vladimir (vyskocil@unice.fr)
Date: Wed Feb 23 2000 - 19:23:15 MET

    "Benjamin C. Pierce" wrote:

    > Answering my own question...
    >
    > I've been told that statically linking Tk applications is not
    > possible. If you can tell me how to do it (ideally on both Unix and
    > Windows) I'd be delighted to know: this is one of our biggest problems
    > with distributing Unison at the moment.
    >
    > >From talking to some more experts, the situation appears to be this:
    > Tk can be statically linked, but this doesn't help with portability
    > because when it starts the first thing it does is reads some Tcl
    > scripts. So in any case you can't distribute a complete all-in-one
    > executable: users will have to install (the right version of) Tk to
    > run your program.

    I've build a tool which has TK statically linked and all the script part
    put in it : I've put all tcl lib files into one (or more) C strings and
    evalued them by a TCL interpret in the init part of the application (it
    was done in a small C piece of code linked with OCaml), it works very
    well !

    --
    Vyskocil Vladimir
    vyskocil@unice.fr