Re: Portability of applications written in OCAML: C stuff

From: Max Skaller (maxs@in.ot.com.au)
Date: Fri Feb 25 2000 - 00:51:03 MET

    Alan Schmitt wrote:

    > ..
    > >In particular, while my product is currently Unix only, the build
    > >process
    > >must work under Windows too, which rules out make, autoconf, and other
    > >such silliness. :-)
    >
    > I gather this rules out using a compiler too ... ;-)

            I wish. The client must configure commands to compile
    and link C. This cannot be avoided.

    > In particular, when you say "must work under windows", do you mean out
    > of the box window, or one with some tools installed (ocaml, python,
    > cygwin thus bash, make ...)

            The current requirements are for Python and Ocaml installed.
    Plus you need the same C compiler used to build Python and Ocaml.
    [You also need GTK]

    > I have many "config.h" in many source distributions in my /usr/src
    > directory. I have never had such a problem.

    > True, but since there is a nice mechanism to deal with this (ie
    > Makefile and directories), is this really worth it ?

            What? Nice mechanism? Are you joking or ignorant?

    --
    John (Max) Skaller at OTT [Open Telecommications Ltd]
    mailto:maxs@in.ot.com.au      -- at work