Re: Portability of applications written in OCAML: C stuff

From: Juergen Pfitzenmaier (pfitzen@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de)
Date: Fri Feb 25 2000 - 13:29:19 MET

    Max Skaller wrote on Wed, 23 Feb 2000 10:43:46 +1100
    > 1. DO NOT USE A FILE CALLED 'config.h'
    > do NOT use generic names on the assumption your code will
    > be built with your Makefile in a separate directory.

    I have seen some big projects (> 100 MB code) and several smaller ones. In each of
    them people had to fight with the configuration. They all settled for what seems to
    be the least pain: built and distribute (!) in small blocks; keep each block in its
    own directory; use the same general frame for each block if possible (yes: use the
    name config.h over and over again).
    Even if its leading away from OCaml: I think that your real problem is with "make"
    and its way of building project. Look for "configuration management" and "make replacement"
    on the net.

    pfitzen