let ... in layout

From: Julian Assange (proff@iq.org)
Date: Wed Mar 15 2000 - 02:33:58 MET

    let .. in
    let .. in ...

    seems such a common construct in caml that it could do with some
    syntatic sugar. I often see let..in run to 5-20 clauses. This appears
    incredibly ugly compared to the equivalent haskell code, is harder to
    read and takes longer to write due to the clutter of the surrounding
    token magic. Has anyone thought about applying layout in general to
    ocaml, or otherwise sugaring let...in? Is there any reason why the BNF

            let {name = expr}+ in

    would be ambiguous?

    The only other haskell features I frequently miss, are list
    comprehensions and multiple argument pattern matching.

    Cheers,
    Julian.