RE: Syntax for label, NEW PROPOSAL

From: Jacques Garrigue (garrigue@kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp)
Date: Fri Mar 17 2000 - 10:48:40 MET

    Having seen a number of recent messages against having labels in the
    standard library, I have the feeling that there is a lot of confusion
    here, and I would like to make a few points clear.

    * In default (classic) mode, writing labels is (and will stay) not
      required. For those users that do not like labels, or do not want to
      bother with them, or just are starting to learn ML, labels in the
      standard library are just some form of documentation, like argument
      names in C prototypes.
      Honestly, I have never heard anybody protesting against having
      argument names in C prototypes.

    * While not requiring labels, classic mode provides some support for
      them, meaning that casual users can put some labels in their
      programs if they want. This also means that any library written in
      modern mode (where labels matter) will be available with the same
      comfort in both classic and modern mode, and, more interestingly,
      according to the _user_'s taste rather than to the implementor's.

    * What we are discussing about is modern mode. This is not pedantic
      mode, this is just another typing discipline. This basically doesn't
      concern people who are not very fond of labels, and will be perfectly
      happy with classic mode.

    * Pierre expressed his concern that modern mode would make more
      difficult some nice programming style. I perfectly agree with him,
      but I think this specific problem can be solved without removing
      labels from the library.

    Looking at the messages, there are clearly people who prefer (heavily)
    labelled style, and others who prefer fewer or no labels. But they all
    agree that Caml is and should stay a great _functional_ language.
    Let's all live happily together: modern and classic mode are there for
    that!

    Jacques