Syntax Discussions and Caml Philosophy

From: David McClain (dmcclain@azstarnet.com)
Date: Fri Mar 17 2000 - 23:12:08 MET

    I have been reading the past messages about label syntax with some degree of
    interest... I am not expert enough in their use to make any comments
    regarding them. But I will echo the experience of a heavy user of Caml in
    saying that I have been quite pleased with the "orthogonality" of syntactic
    components.

     I find that Caml is first among languages (and beyond Lisp) that permit
    drastic and radical changes to underlying modules of very large programs
    without introducing unwanted side effect propagation. This amazing property
    has enabled a tenfold increase in my own productivity. Whatever the outcome
    of these discussions, I do hope that these orthogonality goals, and the
    other simple "properties" of the language can be maintained. This compiler
    is too elegant and useful to destroy with the introduction of intrusive
    features...

    David McClain, Sr. Scientist
    Raytheon Systems Co.
    Tucson, AZ