Re: Syntax for label, NEW PROPOSAL

From: John Prevost (prevost@maya.com)
Date: Sat Mar 18 2000 - 23:40:17 MET

    Damien Doligez <Damien.Doligez@inria.fr> writes:

    > >From: Don Syme <dsyme@microsoft.com>
    > > - No labels inside the arguments of higher order functions. This
    > > will really confuse new users who try not to use labels!
    > > e.g.. no "acc" in the first argument of
    > > val fold_right: fun:('b -> acc:'a -> 'a) -> 'b array -> acc:'a -> 'a
    >
    > But that argument doesn't really work because new users who try not
    > to use labels will not use label mode.

    Actually, that's over-simplifying. In fact, I would simply turn off
    label mode--EXCEPT that I might want to use something like tk, which
    has an API I don't think is usable without labels.

    So I would either have a mixture of source files, some compiled with
    labels on some with off, or all labels. And even in the files where I
    want labels, I'd rather not use them on the standard library, but I
    would have to. :(

    John.