Re: additions to standard library?

From: John Max Skaller (skaller@maxtal.com.au)
Date: Tue Mar 21 2000 - 22:08:05 MET

    Don Syme wrote:

    > I've often wondered why languages don't support "extensions" to library
    > namespaces (and perhaps even to functors). e.g. one could define
    >
    > let String.explode s = ....
    > let String.implode s = ...
    > let myfun = ...

    The reason is that it is hard to localise these changes.
    It isn't acceptable to extend the actual module, since two clients
    could provide conflicting "extensions". This would break the
    Open/Closed principle [Meyer, OOSC]

    --
    John (Max) Skaller, mailto:skaller@maxtal.com.au
    checkout Vyper http://Vyper.sourceforge.net