labels & ocaml 3 & co.

From: David Mentré (David.Mentre@irisa.fr)
Date: Fri Mar 24 2000 - 10:54:03 MET

    Nicolas barnier <barnier@recherche.enac.fr> writes:

    > I'm quite tired with all this polemic.

    so do I.

    > Moreover, two compile modes are not a very good idea for obvious
    > portability reasons.

    I agree.

    > So I think we should switch to a single modern mode because labels in
    > modern mode are useful and simple (at least in Labltk),

    Agree.

    > and withdraw labels in the standard library because they're often a
    > pain (and the lib is small enough to learn without the need for
    > labels).

    Agree. But another proposal : why not use *only optional labels* in the
    standard library?

    Therefore :

    - traditionnal (classic) caml users are not forced to use labels at all
      (even if they are available)

    - label (modern) caml users can use them freely, with arguments
      commutativity and so on

    > We would then keep labels an orthogonal improvment.

    I think everybody agree on this (only? :-) point.

    Sincerely,
    david

    --
     David.Mentre@irisa.fr -- http://www.irisa.fr/prive/dmentre/