Re: backward compatibility

From: Christophe Raffalli (Christophe.Raffalli@univ-savoie.fr)
Date: Mon Apr 03 2000 - 09:57:38 MET DST

    > Now the answer is very short: you cannot provide simultaneously (in
    > the same mode)
    > 1) backward compatibility
    > 2) commutation of (non-optional) labels
    > 3) labels as documentation (that is, anywhere you feel like putting them)

    1) has never been a requirement from me as a user or from the Caml team.
    Caml-light and ocaml are not compatible Ocaml had also incompatible
    change not to speak about the difference between Caml (the old one) and
    Caml-Light !

    I really think 1) is a VERY VERY BAD idea ! OCaml is a reasearch
    language that is also really usable. But I want it to progress toward an
    always better language. So 1) is not a reasonable constraint.

    The only questions are:
      - How hard is to port your code ?
      - Can it be done automatically ?

    So if an improvement is worth it add it to OCaml regardless of backward
    compatibility !

    --
    Christophe Raffalli
    Université de Savoie