Re: cyclic value construction ("let rec")

From: Markus Mottl (mottl@miss.wu-wien.ac.at)
Date: Mon Apr 10 2000 - 03:41:39 MET DST

    > This is perfectly right, and as always with mutable values, you cannot
    > implement a feature without adding some safeguard conditions.
    [snip]
    > type 'a loc = {mutable contents : 'a} as {contents : 'a};;
    [snip]
    > This view conception of type exportation could also be generalized to
    > hide some other information about a type to export: hide some
    > constructors or labels...

    Oh, my - if I could already think as fast ahead...

    This looks indeed not bad and wouldn't even clutter the language! Programs
    with elaborate record fields would surely benefit - no more read
    access functions required (saves work both in the implementation and
    the interface!)...

    I am now waiting for Xavier to use his feared backhand to play back the
    ball with another overlooked problem... ;-)

    Best regards,
    Markus Mottl

    --
    Markus Mottl, mottl@miss.wu-wien.ac.at, http://miss.wu-wien.ac.at/~mottl