Re: When functional languages can be accepted by industry?

From: Dennis (Gang) Chen (Dennis.G.Chen@motorola.com)
Date: Thu Apr 13 2000 - 03:23:51 MET DST

    > I'm not sure I understand what features of pointers in C you want. Yes,
    > arbitrary pointer arithmetic is not available. But, when you work with
    > mutable data structures in ocaml, the things you assign behave a lot like
    > pointers in C or C++.

    Thank you very much. Now I find that a mutable linked list can indeed be elegantly
    implemented in ocaml, e.g.:

    type 'a mlist = Empty | Node of 'a mlist ref * 'a ref;;

    This is what I didn't realized before.

    Cheers.

    --
    Dennis Gang CHEN    Senior Software Engineer
    Motorola Australia Software Centre, Electronic Design Automation