Re: When functional languages can be accepted by industry?

From: John Max Skaller (skaller@maxtal.com.au)
Date: Thu Apr 13 2000 - 19:28:40 MET DST

    Frank Atanassow wrote:

    > If you really care about this subject, please read the article by Phil Wadler,
    > "Why no one uses functional languages",
    >
    > http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/wadler/papers/sigplan-why/sigplan-why.ps.gz
    >
    > and then take your discussion to comp.lang.functional, which is a better forum
    > for religious wars, with plenty of people who love to waste their time on this
    > stuff.

            I do not think this is a waste of time.
    I think it is important for people who are in industry to tell
    the ocaml team what they think. This is no religous war: the readers
    of this list all like ocaml :-)

            Furthermore, because it supports object orientation and
    imperative style -- as well as throwing in ( .. he ducks quickly .. )
    functional stuff, one cannot throw the 'functional language are XXXX'
    argument at ocaml. It ISN'T a functional language.

    --
    John (Max) Skaller, mailto:skaller@maxtal.com.au
    checkout Vyper http://Vyper.sourceforge.net