Re: When functional languages can be accepted by industry?

From: John Max Skaller (skaller@maxtal.com.au)
Date: Sun Apr 16 2000 - 18:33:27 MET DST

    Julian Assange wrote:

    > > * Parsing and manipulating RFC 822 mail headers
    > > * Parsing and manipulating MIME documents
    > > * Parsing and downloading URLs
    > > * A FTP client
    > > * An HTTP Server
    > > * An HTTP Client
    > > * An IMAP Client
    > > * An SMTP Client
    > > * A POP Client
    > > * A NNTP Client
    > > * A Telnet Client
    > > * Parsing, manipulating, and generating HTML
    > > * Parsing, manipulating, and generating SGML
    > > * Audio data creation and manipulation
    > > * Image data creation and manipulation
    > > * High-level file operations (copy file, copy directory tree,
    > > delete directory tree)
    >
    > If these things ever end up in the standard library, I will pack my bags and
    > go home.

    [...]

    > As the number of inter-dependent ocaml packages increases, I'm
    > increasingly hit by version conflicts.
    >
    > A library calculus system which was URL name space aware would be
    > particularly interesting. NetBSD and FreeBSD take this approach in
    > their own package source dependency system for instance. Compiling one
    > package recursively pulls in, uncompresses, patches, compilies and
    > installs the dependencies.
    >
    > Such technology strongly fosters co-operative community.

            Yeah, but failing to recognize that the technology
    for inter-networking such shared library modules is required
    before it can be implemented: namely the components you
    said will send you packing your bags were they fundamental. :-)

            There's a difference between 'standard library' and
    'standard distribution' too: the "Unix" module, for example,
    is part of the latter but not the former.

    --
    John (Max) Skaller, mailto:skaller@maxtal.com.au
    checkout Vyper http://Vyper.sourceforge.net