Re: standard library request: purely functional data structures

From: Markus Mottl (mottl@miss.wu-wien.ac.at)
Date: Mon Apr 17 2000 - 17:18:03 MET DST

    > Having recently read Chris Okasaki's book by the same name, and noticed
    > that there is 3rd party ocaml code for the book, I'd like to request
    > that a version of this code be distributed with the standard library
    > (or at least the standard distribution), as:
    >
    > 1) The library is well documented (by the book)

    :-)

    I take this "(by the book)" as friendly hint to improve documentation of
    the sources - sometime...

    > 2) The routines are fast and of varying flexibility
    > 3) The complixity and other behavior is well analysed
    > 4) Chris's book contains haskell and sml97 code. A
    > similar library in ocaml makes it much easier to
    > move to and from ocaml.

    At the moment I am not convinced that it is of much use to incorporate
    Okasaki's purely functional datastructures into the standard distribution
    "as is". Most of the modules lack crucial functionality - the primary
    intention was to only demonstrate the most basic operations. It would
    surely be nice to extend them, but what concerns me, I am currently under
    too heavy workload (exam time) to start this... any volunteers?

    Best regards,
    Markus Mottl

    --
    Markus Mottl, mottl@miss.wu-wien.ac.at, http://miss.wu-wien.ac.at/~mottl