Re: When functional languages can be accepted by industry?

From: John Max Skaller (skaller@maxtal.com.au)
Date: Fri Apr 21 2000 - 21:18:55 MET DST

    Markus Mottl wrote:
    > Programs on modern architectures depend so heavily on cache behaviour that
    > performance claims for code-bloating techniques seem to be rather
    > suspicious. I'd also like to see substantial benchmarks that prove the
    > merits...

            Code bloat can be expensive, however so can boxed values.

    > Considering the improvements on the hardware side in terms of processor
    > performance, 10% seems very insignificant to me

            Sure it does. But you are not thinking rationally.
    You're thinking emotionally. So try this: in doing your job,
    you find a 10% productivity improvement. Not much eh?
    Try _over_ an extra months holiday! Are you kidding 10% isn't
    significant?

    > Correctness, maintainability and portability are (well, should be) the
    > primary concerns in a world that changes fast - not "fast" programs...

            It is for those who commission and pay for the code to determine
    what their strategic goals are. We have code written in _assembler_.

    > If your employer says that you should switch to lower-level, unsafe
    > programming languages to get 10% more performance, tell him that he
    > should rather buy new hardware (if you dare to! ;-)

            My employer isn't the user of the software but the puveryor of it.

    > If he doesn't want, present him an estimate of the costs of more errors...

            At present, the cost of C++ errors is much lower. That is because
    the company employs a lot of expert C++ programmers. And only one,
    nonexpert, ocaml programmer.

    --
    John (Max) Skaller, mailto:skaller@maxtal.com.au
    checkout Vyper http://Vyper.sourceforge.net