Re: When functional languages can be accepted by industry?

From: Markus Mottl (mottl@miss.wu-wien.ac.at)
Date: Fri Apr 21 2000 - 21:45:45 MET DST

    > For me, it has deficiency as a scripting language: interactive
    > (command prompt) use is clumbsy because gnu-readline isn't integrated:
    > no history or editing. [This should be easy to fix: there's some code
    > in the Vyper.sourceforge.net repository which might be adapted.]

    I have already nearly forgotten about this problem: I use the "ile"-tool
    (input line editor - some age old piece of software) as "wrapper" around
    the OCaml-toplevel, which gives me all these nice features back. Works with
    just about any terminal program!

    For those of you who don't have it yet, I have put a link to the
    source-tarball into Gerd Stolpmann's link database (name: ILE):

      http://www.npc.de/ocaml/linkdb

    After compilation, just start it with "ile ocaml" (even better: assign an
    alias!)

    Especially useful for teaching/demonstration purposes...

    Best regards,
    Markus Mottl

    --
    Markus Mottl, mottl@miss.wu-wien.ac.at, http://miss.wu-wien.ac.at/~mottl