Re: When functional languages can be accepted by industry?

From: John Max Skaller (skaller@maxtal.com.au)
Date: Fri Apr 21 2000 - 21:35:40 MET DST

    Jacques Garrigue wrote:

    > * it is not so clear how useful it would be for a language like ocaml.
    > Code in ocaml is much more compact than in C++ or JAVA, so that code
    > generation is not so useful in itself. I agree that this might be
    > nice for beginners, but if it is nice for beginners only, then it's
    > even harder to find the workforce.

            There is one major exception: interfaces.
    There is often duplication, particularly with types.
    I'd almost rather see _inline_ interface specifications.
    (such as marking some symbols 'private', meaning not to put them
    in the generated interface).

    >From a language abstraction point of view, the idea of writing file
    > paths inside programs doesn't sound so nice. A simpler solution would
    > be to provide an easy way to indicate which package one wants to use
    > from the ocamlc command line.

            I don't like this. It means a successful build requires the client
    to know what to write on the command line.

    > Name has changed, it is now ocamlbrowser.
    > As Vitaly answered, this is not a RAD, but more a kind of IDE, more
    > centered on library browsing than project building.
    >
    > As always I admire how constructive your comments are :-)

            I found the interface unusable. The reason was simple:
    the windows never went to the correct size. It is non-trivial
    to get this right. For example, I hate scrolling: the window should
    adjust to avoid scroll bars within some sensible bounds.

    --
    John (Max) Skaller, mailto:skaller@maxtal.com.au
    checkout Vyper http://Vyper.sourceforge.net