Re: Dynamic link

From: Nicolas GEORGE (nicolas.george@ens.fr)
Date: Sat Apr 22 2000 - 10:50:02 MET DST

    Le vendredi 21 avril 2000, Jerome Vouillon a écrit :
    > Actually, if you are concerned about the size of a custom runtime, it
    > is much simpler to patch the OCaml makefiles so that the standard
    > library and the special libraries are built as shared library.

    I agree with that, as long as you are root on your computer, to install the
    new "fat" runtime each time you add a new library.

    > API for dynamically loading C libraries at execution time (rather than

    In my view, this is a quite different issue. (And I don't see immediatly
    how to do that type safely)

    > I don't think you need to consider builtin primitives in a special
    > way: just consider the runtime as another shared library.

    At this time, I am not at ease with the compiler/run-time code enough to
    make so wide changes. But the structure of my patch allows that almost
    without changes: I simply builtins primitives into the symbols database,
    and as the symbol is already initialized, it does not load this fake
    library.

    > You should definitively do that. And I think it's easy.

    I will try, but I have others parallel projects (I have written a binding
    for the curses library, and I must then build on top of that a high-level
    widget system).

    --
      Sorry for my horrible English.