Re: Ocaml and (the lack of) RAD tools

From: Jacques Garrigue (garrigue@kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp)
Date: Fri Apr 28 2000 - 02:40:34 MET DST

    From: "Georges Mariano" <georges.mariano@inrets.fr>

    > Following the thread about (the lack of) RAD tools around Ocaml,
    > may I suggest an idea...
    >
    > [ooops, first : I'm an ocaml newbie and I don't use (yet) Glade,
    > so I'm speaking without a clear view of the technical consequences
    > the following idea may induce...]
    >
    > Would'nt it be useful to define the coupling between a tool like Glade
    > and the Ocaml language ???

    Indeed, somebody had this idea in the LablGTK project.
    There is a small glade interface that was running at that time.
    This was even released in the first alpha version of lablgtk:
    ftp://ftp.kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp/pub/lang/olabl/lablgtk-a01.tar.gz

    We just dropped it because what we want is something better integrated
    with ocaml: the RAD himself, or at least parts of it, should be
    written in ocaml, and for such a goal having to interface the whole of
    glade seemed more painful than rewriting it from scratch.

    The radtest included in lablgtk-1.00 has an interface very similar to
    glade, the only real difference being that you drag and drop to the
    tree structure of your window rather than directly on the window
    itself. This allows more subtle editing. What it really lacks is
    widgets: only 12 of them are currently available, and with only few of
    their options.

    Jacques Garrigue Kyoto University garrigue at kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp
                    <A HREF=http://wwwfun.kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~garrigue/>JG</A>