Re: translation of book (fwd)

From: John Prevost (prevost@maya.com)
Date: Thu May 04 2000 - 19:57:12 MET DST

    >>>>> "mm" == Markus Mottl <mottl@miss.wu-wien.ac.at> writes:

        mm> Hello, Bad news: I have just received an answer from O'Reilly
        mm> concerning future translations of the French
        mm> OCaml-book. Unfortunately, there do not seem to be any
        mm> intentions to do so... (see below). Maybe people want to "push
        mm> it" a bit at the French branch (address also below)? ;-)

        mm> If nobody asks, nothing will move...

    I've just sent mail asking "when will an English edition of ... be
    available?" with a short explanation about why I think it would be
    worthwhile to translate it.

    I wonder what would happen if a group of people offered to act as
    translators/polishers. I've noticed that automatic tools like
    Babelfish tend to do a much better job on technical writing than, say,
    poetry, and would be willing to spend the time it would take to refine
    at least a chapter or two of such a work.

    Speaking of babelfish, I just took a look at the book's web page
    through it and was very pleased by the following expression:

    "Diffused freely by its creators of the INRIA ..."

    I don't know whether this is just a babelfish artifact, or a straight
    translation of the French, but "diffusion" rather than "distribution"
    of open-source seems like a pleasant metaphor to me.

    John.