Re: translation of book (fwd)

From: Benjamin C. Pierce (bcpierce@saul.cis.upenn.edu)
Date: Thu May 04 2000 - 21:06:17 MET DST

    > I wonder what would happen if a group of people offered to act as
    > translators/polishers. I've noticed that automatic tools like
    > Babelfish tend to do a much better job on technical writing than, say,
    > poetry, and would be willing to spend the time it would take to refine
    > at least a chapter or two of such a work.

    At the University of Pennsylvania we are using OCaml for our
    first-year undergraduate course, with about 300 students a year, and
    have been suffering because of the lack of a suitable textbook.

    I've been corresponding about the new book with Xavier Cazin in the
    French editorial offices of O'Reilly. He says there are no plans at
    the moment to make an English translation in-house, but he seems very
    receptive to the idea of someone taking on the job of producing one
    (which could perhaps even be distributed freely, though that's a point
    that needs to be discussed, of course) for the non-francophone
    community.

         Benjamin