Re: Netwoking examples..

From: tyler (tyler@tricycle.org)
Date: Fri May 05 2000 - 19:29:15 MET DST

    Hey,
    These are two very short programs I hacked up that worked when I tried
    them.

    Here's a server:
    open Unix

    let _ =
      let this_socket = (Unix.socket PF_INET SOCK_STREAM 0) in
      let this_socket_addr =
        ADDR_INET ((Unix.inet_addr_of_string "127.0.0.1"), 60648) in
      Unix.bind this_socket this_socket_addr;
      Unix.listen this_socket 3;
      let (client_socket, client_addr) = Unix.accept this_socket in
      let this_string = String.create 100 in
      let number_read = Unix.read client_socket this_string 0 100 in
      let number_written = Unix.write client_socket this_string 0 number_read
    in
      Unix.close this_socket;
      exit 0
    ;;

    Here's a client:
    open Unix

    let _ =
      let this_socket = (Unix.socket PF_INET SOCK_STREAM 0) in
      let server_addr =
        ADDR_INET ((Unix.inet_addr_of_string "127.0.0.1"), 60648) in
      Unix.connect this_socket server_addr;
      let num_written = Unix.write this_socket "hello world" 0 11 in
      let response_string = String.create 20 in
      let num_read = Unix.read this_socket response_string 0 20 in
      print_string response_string;
      Unix.close this_socket;
      exit 0
    ;;

    Compile them, start up the server program, and then run the client
    program. It should print out "hello world".
    Again, it's way simple, but it should hopefully give you some ideas. For a
    server, make the socket, then bind it to an address, then have it listen
    on a port, then have it accept a connection. When you're done, close the
    socket (is there an ocaml function for flushing a file descriptor, not an
    out_channel?). For a client, just make the socket and tell it where to
    connect to. Its own address and port are handled automatically. You might
    want to look around for a socket tutorial in c (I've seen one somewhere
    before...). If you understand what's happening on both ends, it's a
    question of syntax at that point. Have fun!
    tyler