Re: Book in english

From: Benjamin C. Pierce (bcpierce@saul.cis.upenn.edu)
Date: Fri May 05 2000 - 22:52:44 MET DST

    > "The Functional Approach to Programming" by Guy Cousineau and Michel Mauny,
    > Cambridge University Press, 1998.
    >
    > It is a quite good reference book on programming in Caml Light, close
    > enough to Objective Caml to be used as a standard beginner's textbook, even
    > if it does not cover modules and objects. It gives many serious programming
    > examples, and answers many of the questions that are routinely asked on
    > this list, such as how to program doubly linked lists (the "sweet"
    > implementation given by Xavier a few days ago is covered in section 4.4.5
    > for instance).

    Unfortunately, this is not quite the book we need at Penn (neither is
    the new O'Reilly book, from what I've heard, but I'm hoping that parts
    will be useful) -- it's an excellent book for second- or third-year
    students with some programming background, but it seems too hard for
    complete beginners or for (U.S.) college freshmen. (If anyone has
    evidence to contradict that claim, I'd love to hear it!)