Re: Book in english

From: Matías Giovannini (matias@k-bell.com)
Date: Mon May 08 2000 - 16:13:07 MET DST

    "Benjamin C. Pierce" wrote:

    > > "The Functional Approach to Programming" by Guy Cousineau and Michel Mauny,
    > > Cambridge University Press, 1998.
    > >
    > > It is a quite good reference book on programming in Caml Light, close
    > > enough to Objective Caml to be used as a standard beginner's textbook, even
    > > if it does not cover modules and objects. It gives many serious programming
    > > examples, and answers many of the questions that are routinely asked on
    > > this list, such as how to program doubly linked lists (the "sweet"
    > > implementation given by Xavier a few days ago is covered in section 4.4.5
    > > for instance).
    >
    > Unfortunately, this is not quite the book we need at Penn (neither is
    > the new O'Reilly book, from what I've heard, but I'm hoping that parts
    > will be useful) -- it's an excellent book for second- or third-year
    > students with some programming background, but it seems too hard for
    > complete beginners or for (U.S.) college freshmen. (If anyone has
    > evidence to contradict that claim, I'd love to hear it!)

    How about "The little MLer", by Felleisen? That's an easy, nice book for
    beginners to start thinking in functional terms. It even has a chapter
    on modules, and even if it's based on the SML/NJ syntax, it contemplates
    CamlSpecialLight/OCaml syntax.

    HTH,
    Matías.

    --
    The Principle of Criminal Stupidity: "You, and only you,
    should accept the consequences of believing a false assertion."