Re: Suggestion: Print more error messages?

From: Jean-Christophe Filliatre (filliatr@csl.sri.com)
Date: Fri May 12 2000 - 19:30:40 MET DST

    > I have a short question about error messages. I've notived that
    > ocamlc will often quit after detecting the first error. I find it much
    > more useful to get a number of errors (at least 3-6), even if some of
    > them may be spurious. Is it possible to implement such behaviour?

    You don't really need such a feature, since the ocaml compiler is very
    fast. Thus, you can "recompile" and "next-error" very often, without
    wasting time waiting for the compiler (With slow compilers, like JDK's
    java compiler, you really need such a feature!) And thanks to the true
    separate compilation of ocaml's modules, you only recompile few files
    each time.

    I agree that ocaml's native-code compiler may be quite slow sometimes,
    but due to the consistency between the two compilers, you can developp
    with the bytecode compiler, which is really fast, and then turn to
    native-code when you are done with the development-phase and start the
    test-phase.

    However, I guess that there are also difficulties in finding more than
    one error in a strongly typed language...

    --
    Jean-Christophe Filliatre
      Computer Science Laboratory   Phone (650) 859-5173