The performance cost of using exceptions?

From: Daniel Ortmann (ortmann@vnet.ibm.com)
Date: Sat May 13 2000 - 23:59:47 MET DST

    Are programs written to make heavy use of exceptions going to be markedly
    slower than programs written more traditionally with loops/ifs, etc?

    (My uninformed mental picture of exception is that they would use some type of
    underlying setjump/longjump overhead.)

    Thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

    --
    Daniel Ortmann, IBM Circuit Technology, Rochester, MN 55901-7829
    ortmann@vnet.ibm.com or ortmann@us.ibm.com and 507.253.6795 (external)

    "The answers are so simple, and we all know where to look, but it's easier just to avoid the question." -- Kansas