Re: Alternative generic hash function

From: Daniel Ortmann (ortmann@vnet.ibm.com)
Date: Tue May 30 2000 - 20:04:48 MET DST

    Damien Doligez <Damien.Doligez@inria.fr> writes:

    > Some people are already complaining about the maximum size of arrays. And
    > it's true that 16 megabytes is quite small.

    Microprocessor and ASIC engineering frequently needs to handle sets of data
    larger than 20GB ... I've heard of some data requirements of 50GB.

    And that is RAM, not just virtual memory. Without the that much RAM the
    programs thrash to death.

    Perl hashes have been indispensable.

    --
    Daniel Ortmann, IBM Circuit Technology, Rochester, MN 55901-7829
    ortmann@vnet.ibm.com or ortmann@us.ibm.com and 507.253.6795 (external)

    "The answers are so simple, and we all know where to look, but it's easier just to avoid the question." -- Kansas