translation of O'Reilly book

From: Joshua D. Guttman (guttman@mitre.org)
Date: Thu Jun 01 2000 - 19:48:34 MET DST

    "Benjamin C. Pierce" <bcpierce@saul.cis.upenn.edu> writes:

    > I've been corresponding about the new book with Xavier Cazin in the
    > French editorial offices of O'Reilly. He says there are no plans at
    > the moment to make an English translation in-house, but he seems very
    > receptive to the idea of someone taking on the job of producing one
    > (which could perhaps even be distributed freely, though that's a point
    > that needs to be discussed, of course) for the non-francophone
    > community.

    and on the comp.lang.ml newsgroup Perdita Stevens
    <Perdita.Stevens@dcs.ed.ac.uk> writes:

    > perhaps if O'Reilly can't be persuaded to produce an
    > English translation, they might be prepared to give permission for an
    > amateur translation to be done and put on the web? I'd be prepared to
    > translate a chapter or two ...

    > I dare say there might be
    > enough other people out there who'd feel the same that the whole thing
    > could get done (volunteers?).

    I'd also be willing to translate a chapter or two. I'd like to raise
    three questions:

    1. Would someone (possibly Benjamin Pierce?) be willing to take on
        the job of negotiating with O'Reilly to make this possible?

    2. Would someone be willing to collect volunteers to help in this
        project?

    3. Who else would be willing to join as a volunteer?

    I myself would not be good at 1. However, I'd be willing to take on
    role 2, unless someone else would be better suited to it.

    Of course, success depends on getting a significant number of
    volunteers, at least a dozen, probably more because some people will
    have to drop out for one reason or another. I suppose that, with this
    many participants, we'll also need someone to play the role of editor,
    and make sure that the translations are uniform in style and in choice
    of terms.

    If you would like to volunteer, please send email directly to me
    <guttman@mitre.org> rather than cluttering the Caml list; I will
    report status to the list. Other comments on the idea should be
    directed to the list.

    Thanks --

            Joshua

    --