Re: Reverse-Engineering Bytecode: A Possible Commercial Objection To O'Caml

From: Max Skaller (maxs@in.ot.com.au)
Date: Thu Jun 08 2000 - 00:15:57 MET DST

    Daniel Ortmann wrote:

    > ... it occurs to me that companies may be concerned about the ease of "reverse
    > engineering" their byte compiled software modules and thus object to Objective
    > Caml.

    I actually don't think this is a problem, although I'm not sure.
    If it were, the solution would be to embed the runtime and bytecodes
    inside an executable, and encrypt the bytecode. In that case,
    being able to run the bytecodes _from a memory image_ rather than a disk
    file would be the only real requirement. Configuring licence servers
    etc should be left to the producer of the product.

    Because the whole of the ocaml system is open,
    all of this is already possible. If there is a problem here,
    it is the lack of availability of consultancy from ocaml experts
    to assist in the embedding task.

    --
    John (Max) Skaller at OTT [Open Telecommications Ltd]
    mailto:maxs@in.ot.com.au      -- at work