Re: pb with ocamldep

From: Gerard Huet (Gerard.Huet@inria.fr)
Date: Thu Jun 08 2000 - 12:25:22 MET DST

    At 16:21 07/06/00 +0200, Christophe Raffalli wrote:

    >It would be nice ocamldep coud also accept the -pp option to call a
    >preprocessor.
    >
    >I have some problems with files that are not syntacticaly correct before
    >preprocessing !
    >So I can not use ocamldep on these files and this is annoying.
    >
    >--
    >Christophe Raffalli

    This is an instance of a general problem, the design of a programming
    environment for the Caml family of languages with the various tools
    operating on abstract syntax rather than concrete syntax, so that they can
    be used for all dialects through proper preprocessing. If you use an Emacs
    editing support tool such as Tuareg you will have problems if you try to
    adopt non-archaic syntax.

    For ocamldep the problem may be circumvented by some magic "pr_depend"
    module written by Daniel for use with camlp4. Here is my own Makefile
    depend entry, which should be adaptable to other syntax variants :

    depend: $(SOURCES)
    > .depend.new
            for i in $(SOURCES); do \
            camlp4r my_own_syntax_extension.cmo pr_depend.cmo -- -I . $$i >>
    .depend.new ; \
            done
            mv .depend.new .depend

    Gérard