Re: Newsgroup for Caml?

From: Markus Mottl (mottl@miss.wu-wien.ac.at)
Date: Thu Jun 15 2000 - 14:22:38 MET DST

    On Thu, 15 Jun 2000, Jacques Garrigue wrote:
    > > Instead of creating a new one, the more imperialistically minded among us
    > > might choose to seize power over there...
    >
    > Well, the problem is that comp.lang.ml is a moderated newsgroup, and
    > that it is directly tied to the SML mailing list. I see no point in
    > changing that.

    I was only joking ;-)

    But in any case: traffic is really low there. I could imagine that
    it would be beneficial for the ML-communities not to split up too
    much. People look for newsgroups with high traffic, because this improves
    the chance of discussing a topic of their interest.

    Additionally, people would see that there are several ML-flavours around,
    in other terms: the general style of ML is obviously a reasonable one
    to adopt/learn.

    A beginner will probably find out more easily about advantages and
    drawbacks of the specific flavours and implementations if he has a
    newsgroup where both sides can argue.

    Although a separate newsgroup for Caml would still have a chance of
    thriving, some "cultural" intermixture might lead to fruitful (and
    hopefully flameless ;) discussions.

    Pierre's proposal to still have a list for implementation specific
    suggestions seems reasonable. One could cross-post messages from the
    maintainers to the newsgroup.

    > Also I'm not sure that people who don't like newsgroups would really
    > enjoy reading such a non-moderated caml-list, with the flame-wars and
    > spam one can expect.

    Mailing lists, too, can contain flame wars - but here you cannot "escape"
    so easily, because it clutters your mailbox.

    > I know it's always hard to distinguish, but for me news and mailing
    > lists are complementary, and I would prefer to have mailing lists
    > directly pour in my inbox, rather than have to discriminate them to
    > avoid overflow.

    I personally can live with both alternatives. The question is whether
    Pierre wants to become a full-time list moderator or prefers to do
    some research...

    Best regards,
    Markus Mottl

    --