Version française
Home     About     Download     Resources     Contact us    

This site is updated infrequently. For up-to-date information, please visit the new OCaml website at

Browse thread
[Caml-list] OCaml 3.05 released
[ Home ] [ Index: by date | by threads ]
[ Search: ]

[ Message by date: previous | next ] [ Message in thread: previous | next ] [ Thread: previous | next ]
Date: 2002-08-10 (10:18)
From: Sven LUTHER <luther@d...>
Subject: [Caml-list] Re: 3.05 and future 3.06 binary compatibility ?
On Fri, Aug 09, 2002 at 02:25:46PM +0200, Xavier Leroy wrote:
> > So, i face a problem, which can be solved by :
> > 
> >   o removing the 3.05 ocaml package (and upload it to
> >   debian/experimental) and keep the 3.04 package in unstable for now
> >   (note that experimental is not a propper debian distribution, just a
> >   place to put packages that cannot go into unstable/testing), and wait
> >   for the 3.06 release.
> >
> >   o bump the .cmi magic numbers [...]
> I would recommend the first approach.  The second is (1) more work,
> (2) a bit of a hack, and (3) not guaranteed to save you work in the end.

Yes, i think most people would prefer this also, but then, the 3.05-1
package is already in unstable, and cannot be removed, thus i will have
to either use epochs in version numbers (a thing i will have to keep
forever after, which is not nice and not really needed), or release a
package versioned something like 3.05_is_really_3.04, which is not
really nice also.

I think i will probably go with this second solution for now, expecially
since ...

> > Anyway, it would be nice to know what the timeframe of the 3.06 release
> > is going to be
> Well, it was scheduled for this week, but a couple of last-minute bug
> report had to be investigated.  The current estimate is aug 19-23,
> assuming (of course) no more bugs pop up.

... 3.06 will be released RSN.

So if all agree, i will release a ocaml 3.05.is_really.3.04-1 package
which will go back to the older 3.04-13 package, and keep 3.04 built
libraries around, and switch to 3.06 in the begining of september or
something such, and we can start rebuilding the libraries.

After that, i could even manage two things :

  o Build regular cvs snapshot packages of ocaml and upload them to
    experimental. The same could be done for some of the libraries also,
    particularly at times were the binary compatibility is broken, if i
    know about it. These could even be built to install in a parallel
    way to the normal ocaml packages. For this having the debian
    directory in CVS would be nice, i think.

  o When the next ocaml release happens, build the packages and put them
    in experimental, or in another debian temporary staging areas (i
    have to figure how this works), and upload the whole of it into
    unstable/testing once we are somewhat sure that the release is
    really stable.

How do you all feel about this ?


Sven Luther
> - Xavier Leroy
To unsubscribe, mail Archives:
Bug reports: FAQ:
Beginner's list: