Re: Upgrade from OCaml 2.01 to OCaml 2.02 made things _slower_!

From: Alexey Nogin (nogin@cs.cornell.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 24 1999 - 05:20:23 MET

Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 23:20:23 -0500
From: Alexey Nogin <nogin@cs.cornell.edu>
To: Anton Moscal <msk@post.tepkom.ru>
Subject: Re: Upgrade from OCaml 2.01 to OCaml 2.02 made things _slower_!

Anton Moscal wrote:

> > > pressure locally, causing other stuff to be spilled on the stack,
> > > though.
> >
> > Well, in this case I should probably try to remove the allocation coalescing
> > and see what happens. Am I right assuming that in order to do that I have to
> > revert changes for versions 1.8 -> 1.9 and 1.10 -> 1.11 of the
> > asmcomp/selectgen.ml?
> >
> Also you can try to apply this patch (attached to this message) to
> asmcomp/selectgen.ml: this is another variant of allocation combiner.
> Code, generated by this patch, is more close to code generated by the
> ocaml-2.01 than the code from official ocaml-2.02 (Warning: I tested it
> only on my own programs and on the Ocaml bootstrapping).

Thanks for the patch, but unfortunately it only made thinks even slower than with
2.02. It raised (compared with 2.02) number of memory requests by 0.2%-2% and
made L2 miss rate grow (up to from 37% to 44% on some input).

Alexey
Home Page: http://www.cs.cornell.edu/nogin/
E-Mail: nogin@cs.cornell.edu (office), ayn2@cornell.edu (home)
Office: Upson 4139, tel: 1-607-255-4934
ICQ #: 24708107 (office), 24678341 (home)