Some extensions to Camlidl-1.00

From: Jocelyn Serot (Jocelyn.Serot@lasmea.univ-bpclermont.fr)
Date: Mon Mar 29 1999 - 20:03:42 MET DST

From: Jocelyn Serot <Jocelyn.Serot@lasmea.univ-bpclermont.fr>
Subject: Some extensions to Camlidl-1.00
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 17:44:22 METDST

Hello,

I just developed a set of extensions for the Camlidl stub code generator
recently released by X. Leroy.
As they may prove useful to other users, trigger some interesting
comments (or event find their way to the next release) i'm very happy to
make them them available from my Web page:
  http://wwwlasmea.univ-bpclermont.fr/Personnel/Jocelyn.Serot/soft/camlidl-1.00e.tar.gz

In short, the proposed extensions consists in
o a new pointer kind for handling finalized opaque pointers
o a (limited) mechanism for handling variable argument lists.

The va list handling mechanism is very experimental and probably not so useful
to general programming (though it was for me !..).
The first one, on the contrary, is often needed when dealing with "opaque"
pointers, i.e. pointers to abstract data allocated in the C heap and
that must be free'd by the Caml GC.
This situation naturally occurs when the return value for a given C function
must be allocated by the generated stub code and is not handled properly the
release 1.00,

More info can be found in the distribution in the file doc/extensions.txt.

Because i'm not so familiar with the diff/patch utilities, the extensions are
distributed in the form of a gziped tar file containing a modified version
of the original camlidl-1.00 distribution.

All reports about about success, failures, improvements, bugs, and wishes
are of course welcome !

J. Serot

--
E-mail: Jocelyn.Serot@lasmea.univ-bpclermont.fr .............................
S-mail: LASMEA - UMR 6602 CNRS, Universite Blaise Pascal, 63177 Aubiere cedex