Reply to: convincing management to switch to Ocaml

From: Jens Olsson (jenso@csd.uu.se)
Date: Thu Aug 12 1999 - 12:36:35 MET DST

From: Jens Olsson <jenso@csd.uu.se>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 12:36:35 +0200 (MET DST)
To: STARYNKEVITCH Basile <Basile.Starynkevitch@cea.fr>
Subject: Reply to: convincing management to switch to Ocaml

I'd like to add some of my reflections to the discussion:

>* Ocaml is an academic langage

Functional languages are in use in the industry. I have working
experience with Erlang which is a functional language used in real time=

telecom software. This particular language (as far as I know anyway)
is being developed from scratch by and for the industry. See
www.erlang.org for information if interested.

>* Ocaml is a slow implementation

I think Ensemble could be a good example of rather advanced software
developed in Ocaml that achieves very good performance compared to
C/C++ equivalents.

/Jens

--
  [Address]            [Phone]                 [WWW]

754 23 Uppsala Work: 018 - 471 76 85 www.csd.uu.se/~jenso SWEDEN Cell: CEASED!!! ICQ UID 8955231 ---------------------------------[ CS student @ Uppsala University ]--