Re: Internationalizing the language

From: Benoit de Boursetty (debourse@email.enst.fr)
Date: Sat Oct 30 1999 - 02:45:44 MET DST

Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1999 02:45:44 +0200 (MET DST)
From: Benoit de Boursetty <debourse@email.enst.fr>
To: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: Internationalizing the language

A quick comment on one my previous post, that somewhat moderates my
ardour:

> * The language of keywords should not change, otherwise it would
> make international program exchanges difficult.
>
> This remark is irrelevant: automatic translation is easy between different
> syntaxes of the same language. It's just another pretty printing of the
> abstract syntax tree.

I wasn't thinking that during such a translation, collisions are likely to
occur between identifiers and keywords (identifiers that aren't keywords
in the first language syntax become so in the second one). You run into
problems then. My apologies for having made such a peremptory statement.

BdB.