Re: Preferred GUI Toolkit for O'Caml 3?

From: Gerd Stolpmann (Gerd.Stolpmann@darmstadt.netsurf.de)
Date: Tue Feb 22 2000 - 21:13:10 MET

    On Tue, 22 Feb 2000, skaller wrote:
    >Tk is reasonably stable .. but dead. It is also sssllllloooowwwww under
    >Windows.

    It is not only slow under Windows. For example, I had an application with a
    "canvas" that displayed many lines of text on the canvas (with some graphical
    ornaments), and that changed the event handlers of the objects to display in
    the canvas. For only some hundred lines of text, Tk took minutes to set the
    canvas up, and the process cosumed about 50 MB of memory. The reason was the
    algorithm by which Tk computes the tables that allow Tk to map coordinates to
    the sub objects of the canvas.

    The problem with Tk is that it has very powerful widgets. Often too powerful in
    the wrong direction. But you must use the powerful widgets, because Tk lacks
    the possibility to create your own customized widgets by combining several very
    simple widgets.

    I solved the problem with my canvas widget by redefining the event handler for
    the whole widget, and doing the mapping from coordinates to text lines by
    myself. This is possible, but you still have to use the super-duper-canvas
    widget of Tk.

    Tk is fine only for simple GUIs.

    Gerd

    Gerd Stolpmann      Telefon: +49 6151 997705 (privat)
    Viktoriastr. 100
    64293 Darmstadt     EMail:   Gerd.Stolpmann@darmstadt.netsurf.de (privat)
    Germany