Re: # types and polymorphic variants

From: Jacques Garrigue (garrigue@kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp)
Date: Sat Feb 26 2000 - 15:10:06 MET

    From: Manuel Fahndrich <maf@microsoft.com>

    > What is the meaning of #foo, when foo is a polymorphic variant set?
    >
    > type foo = [`A | `B | `C]
    >
    > I assumed that it was the following:
    >
    > #foo = [<`A | `B | `C ]
    >
    > that is a set containing at most `A | `B | `C. In other words a subtype of
    > foo.

    This is correct. Notice however that [> `A | `B | `C] would also be a
    subtype of foo (although from a different point of view), so there is
    a choice done here between two possibilities, and I took the seemingly
    most useful/intuitive.

    > But consider the following example.
    [...]

    It seems that you found a bug in ocaml-2.99. If you are particularly
    interested in variants, I suggest you switch to the CVS version.

    With the current CVS version it works as you expect:

            Objective Caml version 2.99+6 (2000/02/25)

    # type foo = [`A|`B|`C];;
    type foo = [`A|`B|`C]
    # let foo1 (x : #foo) = x;;
    val foo1 : (#foo as 'a) -> 'a = <fun>
    # let y1 = foo1 (`A : [`A]);;
    val y1 : [`A] = `A
    # let foo2 (#foo as x) = x;;
    val foo2 : #foo -> [>`A|`B|`C] = <fun>
    # foo2 (`A : [`A]);;
    - : _[>`A|`B|`C] = `A

    foo2 shows the difference between the type #foo, and the pattern #foo,
    which intuitively accepts all values of type #foo, but also permits
    type refinement when combined with "as".

    > The first function returns me only a foo, the second function returns me
    > [`A] as expected. Thus my question, what exactly does #foo stand for. I do
    > understand row variables, but the issue with the lower and upper bounds > <
    > in variant types seems new. Is there a paper describing these?

    The answer is that your intuition was correct.
    You will find a description of variants in "Programming with polymorphic
    variants", ML Workshop '98, Baltimore. You can get it from my home
    page.
    In fact the system in ocaml 3 is a refinement of that, forgetting the
    type of a tag when it disappears from the upper bound, but this
    shouldn't matter in most cases.

    Jacques
    Jacques Garrigue Kyoto University garrigue at kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp
                    <A HREF=http://wwwfun.kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~garrigue/>JG</A>