Unsigned integers?

From: John Max Skaller (skaller@maxtal.com.au)
Date: Tue Mar 21 2000 - 23:22:15 MET

    I have some code for processing ISO-10646 characters and UTF-8,
    which uses caml integers. ISO-10646 has 2^31 code points, which
    can be covered by caml integers on a 32bit machine. Using an
    unboxed type is mandatory for performance.

    Unfortunately, caml integers are signed, which makes most of the
    code I have written wrong (I haven't taken the care to handle
    integers over 2^30 correctly).

    What is the best way to handle this problem?
    Would a (standard?) library module (written in C), that treats
    integers as unsigned be a reasonable solution?

    [This may require writing 'uint_add x y' instead of 'x+y',
    but that doesn't matter in the above mentioned application,
    since the integers are being used to represent characters]

    --
    John (Max) Skaller, mailto:skaller@maxtal.com.au
    checkout Vyper http://Vyper.sourceforge.net