Re: When functional languages can be accepted by industry?

From: Pierre Weis (Pierre.Weis@inria.fr)
Date: Thu Apr 13 2000 - 09:05:50 MET DST

    I cannot resist to answer to your message:

    > The purpose of my original message:
    >
    > "When functional languages can be accepted by industry?"

    [...]
    > It is no doubt that functional languages will continue to succeed in
    > eduacation, research, high level specification, formal program verification,
    > fast prototyping, etc. But, it appears to me that, in industry, the
    > second approach might succeed in most cases.

    by a mere copy of another message I received just at the same time, from
    Chris Tilt:

    From: Chris Tilt <cet@webcriteria.com>
    To: Pierre Weis <Pierre.Weis@inria.fr>
    Subject: Industrial use of Caml

    Dear sir,

    [...]

    I would just like to let you and your team know that we use
    the CAML dialect (v2.4) in the development of some of our
    production software here at WebCriteria. We are an Internet
    startup of about 30 people (6 programmers) and provide a
    service for the automatic reviewing of the User Experience
    on Websites.

    We use CAML to program the core modeling and analysis module
    within our data center. CAML has proven to be a very effective
    and efficient programming language for the construction of
    this part of the product. We have constructed a Model Human
    Browser based on the GOMS modeling system in combination with
    graph theoretic analysis.

    My use of CAML was inspired by Andrew Tolmach, a professor at
    PSU and OGI in Portland, Oregon, USA.

    Please express my deepest appreciation to your team for the
    development of a language that can support an industrial
    application. We benefitted from it's ability to quickly and
    concisely express a solution to a difficult problem. Although
    we base most of our command and control software in Java, ML
    is still the choice for modeling and graph theory.

    Best regards, Chris

    [...]

    --
    Chris Tilt                      mailto:cet@webcriteria.com
    CTO, WebCriteria, Inc.          http://www.webcriteria.com

    I also express my personal ``deepest appreciation to the Caml team'' for our great language that can support hairy academic programming as well as industrial developments.

    Best regards,

    -- Pierre Weis

    INRIA, Projet Cristal, http://pauillac.inria.fr/~weis