communication problems

From: David Chemouil (David.Chemouil@enseeiht.fr)
Date: Mon May 22 2000 - 17:28:53 MET DST

    Hi,

    I'm currently writing kind of a middleware, but I face strange
    behaviors. I've got a client C and a server S, both
    (bytecode-)multithreaded. They communicate with TCP sockets. When C
    connects to S, S sends (by marshalling it, with the Marshal.Closures
    parameter) some data (actually an empty list) to C. On S' side it works.
    But C fails when doing a 'from_marshal' with a Sys_blocked_io exception.
    The doc says:

    exception Sys_blocked_io

         A special case of Sys_error raised when no I/O is possible on a
    non-blocking I/O channel.

    I find this strange because, as far as I know, TCP sockets are
    *blocking" channels.

    Anyway, the problem is that my program fails *sometimes*. Some other
    times, it works very well. And when it fails, it happens that my xterm
    goes nuts, and refuses any operation involving the network (such as a
    rlogin).

    Has anybody met that kind of behavior? How did you handle with it?

    Regards,

    dc

    --
    David Chemouil [mailto:chemouil@enseeiht.fr] [mobile: 06 84 16 26 65]

    Laboratoire d'informatique et de mathématiques appliquées (IRIT-INPT)