Re: Suggestion for Caml Light 0.7 for Mac

Graham White (graham@alliaco.demon.co.uk)
Fri, 12 May 1995 19:58:43 +0000

Date: Fri, 12 May 1995 19:58:43 +0000
To: caml-light@pauillac.inria.fr
From: Graham White <graham@alliaco.demon.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Suggestion for Caml Light 0.7 for Mac

>Regarding the announcement of the release of Caml Light 0.7 beta 4
>
>> The Macintosh version has not been recompiled yet.
>
>I don't know how easy it would be to do this but as a Mac user of
>Caml Light I find it very inconvenient to keep switching between
>the Caml application and my editor. Would it be possible
>to make Caml Light scriptable by AppleScript, and to maybe log its top-level
>output to a file for easy error location? The simplest interface to Caml Light
>would just be a script command which accepts a string and treats it as if it
>were top level input. Even better, the command could return the
>top-level output as a string to the calling application.
Probably an even better way would be to have input and output to Caml via
apple events, so that you could run it using Alpha as a shell. You would
then have all the facilities of Alpha, and input and output to Caml would
appear in Alpha windows. I've just been working with Tom Kiffe on doing
this with CMacTeX, and it's really quite easy; if anyone wants more
details, I can send them.

Graham White