ocamldep

Georg Bauer (Georg_Bauer@ms3.maus.westfalen.de)
Sat, 20 Jul 96 16:48:00 +0200

From: Georg_Bauer@ms3.maus.westfalen.de (Georg Bauer)
To: caml-list@pauillac.inria.fr
Subject: ocamldep
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 96 16:48:00 +0200

Hi!

ITZ>The syntax Xavier suggests for
ITZ>a loop won't work with COMMAND.COM,

Of course it will work with Command.com. Only problem is, you have to
double the "%" if you put it into a batch file.

ITZ>COMMAND.COM is a shell from hell (rhyme
ITZ>unintentional) or rather from the early 60's...

Ok, _that_ is true. But there are better solutions (for example 4DOS for
DOS-lovers or MKS Toolkit (for those that like more unixlike environments).
There is even a Kornshell plagiat for DOS.

The major problem with DOS isn't O'Caml - you can circumvent all problems
easily, because you have the full source of the runtime library (for
example I made small changes to be able to transparently use "@"-file
redirection to support long command lines) - the major problem with DOS's
commandline is, that _external_ utilities don't support one consistent way
to enable long commandlines. For example the Microsoft Assembler utilities
gave me much headaches to integrate them into O'Caml.

I should hate DOS, because it always gives me much work to do - but
actually I love it. It's just one of the last adventures a man can take ;-)

bye, Georg